The design process I use typically involves the following phases:
- Schematic Design
- Design Development
- Construction Documents
Today we will start with Programming. Programming really means just identifying a list of functional needs and qualities that you would like to see in your home. I'll start with a list that reflects the kinds of requests I have been receiving.
- Modest plan size - as close to 2000 square foot as possible.
- Open floor plan - Living, Dining and Kitchen spaces very connected with each other.
- Mudroom with space for hanging coats and sitting for putting shoes on.
- Laundry space should be on the main floor.
- A main floor master bedroom with walk in closet and bath. The bath should have a walk in shower, but not necessarily a tub (the days of the jacuzzi tub seem to be over).
- Spaces that are functional, but not over sized.
- A reasonable sized entry porch.
- A screen porch with spaces for eating and sitting.
- A main floor powder room.
- Possibly a den or away room - if space allows.
- An attached 2 car garage - possibly with some additional storage space.
- 2 additional bedrooms on a second floor.
- A shared bathroom for the 2 upstairs bedrooms.
- A basement that could allow future expansion space.
- Beautiful home but not overly complex. Should be reasonably economical to construct. The house plan should be simple, yet unique.
That's a pretty good list for now. But I wanted to leave room for your thoughts. So please feel free to comment. Did I miss anything? Throw your 2 cents in.
Next posting I will update the program with your relevant comments - and we'll see some initial design thoughts.