The article sites the following housing trends for the 50 and over market:
- New house plans are getting a bit smaller - down to about 2300 sf average
- People are looking for affordability
- Folks are doing a lot of in home entertaining, so open floor plans and kitchens with island seating are important. Didn't I see this on a golden girls episode?
- People are seeking smaller house plans that still feel large - quote "more space-efficient design concepts include using less space for hallways, fewer walls to give a more open feel, and more storage under stairways and above kitchen cabinets" Are you kidding me? These are cited as revolutionary concepts?
- Seniors are open to smaller lots and higher densities
- Clients are making less expensive choices - eschewing granite counters for other alternatives
Well I say it's a great feeling to be in style again! These are exactly the kinds of homes we have been designing for years at Ron Brenner Architects, and exactly the kinds of house plans I offer at Simply Elegant Home Designs.
And I have news. The trends cited are not exclusive to the 50's and over crowd. These are the kinds of homes that our clients have been seeking for quite some time. And most of our clients have been 30 and 40 somethings. They are looking for a smaller yet highly functional and livable floor plan. A house plan that is smarter and nicer. Around here we call that "just plain good design".